The Records Management Office picks up and destroys confidential and sensitive material (e.g., social security numbers, address, etc.).
Destruction Pick Up Regulations
- All white confidential or sensitive information should be recycled. Other material will be destroyed by the UT Records Center. This includes: carbons, NCR type paper, non-white paper, and labels.
- Package material in boxes, not to exceed 28″ x 10″ x 11″ (copy paper boxes are ideal). Make sure the box is sealed.
- Prepare a destruction form or office memorandum authorizing destruction, either typed or written in black ink.
- The Dean, Director, or Department Head must sign the form or memorandum.
- All electronic storage media containing confidential or privacy protected information is electronically wiped clean (not just deleted) or physically destroyed in such a manner that the information cannot be reconstructed. Subsequent destruction shall be properly completed and approved by (Surplus Property). The destruction of electronic records is documented using the same procedures as paper records.
Penalty for Unauthorized Destruction – http://www.tennessee.gov/generalserv/ba17r/